May 24, 2009

Happy happy birthday, baby

On May 24, 1993 my nephew was born. This was a really, really big deal because not only was he the first grandchild, but he was The One to continue the family name, blah, blah, blah.

His parents lived in another state then, so when he was about six weeks old I drove up to meet him for the first time. He was heart-stoppingly beautiful and I felt a depth of love in my heart unlike anything I had experienced before. For the first time in my life I'd met another human being for whom I'd give my life.

By the time he was about two, my brother had gotten transferred back to Atlanta, so I've been able to watch that little kid grow into an amazing young man. He's handsome, funny, smart, tall (thanks to the height gene from his mom's end of the pool, thank god), witty, compassionate, level-headed and will absolutely succeed in any path he chooses.

So...Christian Steven Pappas...Happy Birthday my handsome boy! I'm thrilled to know you, love you to pieces and will be here for you anytime. Anywhere. For all of my life.

1 comment:

Christian said...

Thanks Aunt Anne!