August 05, 2011

Ran Across a Word I Used to Know and Forgot I Ever Knew It Let Alone Used to Use It Regularly

So I get the latest issue of New York Magazine and there's a little section on summer shoes.  Specifically, espadrilles.  Remember in the late '70s - early '80s when they were fashion necessities for all the young preppies?  While my clothing sensibilities have always leaned toward grunge [pre-Kurt Cobain and the Seattle music scene it was actually called "sloppy"], my sister was all about the preppy.

In my early twenties I worked for a guy who owned a couple of Dottie Smith and Pappagallo oh hell, another word I'd forgotten about stores in Georgia and Florida. It was there where I became well-versed in preppy fashion.



So, now those stupid words are going to be floating around inside my head for at least the rest of the day.  Yay.

BTW, when tracking down links for this post, I found seventeen hundred forty-nine thousand preppy-themed blogs. It appears that even though the brand names have changed, the lifestyle carries on...yikes.

No comments: