February 24, 2011

Sensation Seekers?

Once or twice a day I visit MSNBC.com and scan their headlines to see if something looks interesting.  Today, this one caught my eye.

http://today.msnbc.msn.com/id/41630170/ns/today-entertainment/

So I clicked on it expecting to see a Top 5 or Top 10 list of movies too scary to watch. Well, the article actually talked about why some of us are attracted to scary or disturbing movies, and labeled us as high- or low- sensation seekers. 

I didn't need to read the whole article before determining I am a low-sensation seeker.  Whatever.  But it got me to thinking how much of that could be MS related.  Since my diagnosis, it has become more and more important for me to have as much quiet around me as possible.  A nice thing about working from home is I can control ambient noise - I don't have to have a radio or television on all the time.  I like sunny days because I like not having any lights on if at all possible.  The radio in my car is rarely turned on because I just like quiet. Sharp, unexpected noises?  Oy, that is a blog post in and of itself!

Before MS, I had a headset on all day when I was sitting at my desk at the office. Thinking back on that particular habit, it's hard to imagine ever enjoying it.  But you know, that's really ok.  I'm not missing out on anything, and being more productive, no doubt.

I think I've always been a low-sensation seeker.  MS has amplified it, but it did not cause it I'm sure.

Gotta go.  Oprah's starting...

1 comment:

Muffie said...

I so agree with you. I once wrote a post on just that subject. Oddly though, as much as I dislike noise, I do enjoy soft, quiet music. Mine is definitely MS related -- before dx, I was surrounded by constant noise -- good and bad!
Peace,
Muff