November 25, 2021

Oh, no! It’s almost 2022!

I’ve been a voter in Georgia since 1980 and I’ve got to get this off my chest. 

Georgia has 14 congressional seats and Republicans have held a two-seat (8-6) majority since at least the 2010 census. 

I think a lot of heads across the country exploded when Georgia voters surprised everyone by electing Joe Biden for President in 2020. 

Despite three (I believe) recounts, as well as several phone calls to the GA Secretary of State, election officials didn’t “find” enough votes to overturn the election results. Therefore, Biden was awarded our electoral college votes. 

Then, adding insult to injury, Georgians elected democrats to fill our two Senate seats, in January of 2021. 

So, what did Georgia GOP officials do? Why, they created a new statewide districting map, increasing their majority from two seats to four (9-5). 

They will not tolerate a repeat of 2020. 

As a voter who selects the Democratic candidate over the Republican more often than not in state elections, losing is not new to me. It’s part of my “blue dot in a red state” life. After a good pout, I shrug and say, “You can’t win ‘em all”. 

In 2021 the Georgia GOP replied, “Hold my beer.”

 

No comments: