June 18, 2013

Six down, two to go

Here's a post from 2011 that I found in my Draft folder and for some reason was never published. Interestingly - to me, anyway - I still feel like this.

"The hubby has been in NJ since last Saturday, which means:
  1. I've had the bed to myself for the past six nights
  2. I only have to clean up my own mess
  3. I don't have to turn on the TV if I don't want to
  4. I don't have to worry about cooking a dinner that he'd like
Is it too obvious I like having the house to myself?  A lot? He called earlier while visiting a lifelong friend in PA.  He began the call with, "Honey you have to find a new husband, I'm staying here."

Really?  I *have* to find a new husband? What if I don't want another a new one? Geez, I was single for 48+ years, I think I'll be fine.

Not the reaction he was hoping for I'm sure.  I feel bad sometimes because I think he'd like me to be one of those women who would say, "Oh no, you can't leave me, I can't survive without you!!"  That's not me.  He just doesn't understand what a walloping big deal it was for me to marry him (or anyone else for that matter).  Marrying him was the single most powerful way I had to express that I loved him and had no interest in another man for the rest of my life.  I mean my God, he knows absolutely everything about me - more than anyone else on the planet - and he proposed anyway?  I'm gonna turn that down?  I think not.

The reality is no matter how much I joke about the things he does that drive me absolutely batshit crazy, I am exactly where I'm supposed to be and with the person with whom I'm supposed to."

1 comment:

Webster said...

Keep him, but tell him to take all the time he wants, and to have fun. Oh. He's not on the phone? Call him. Quick!