February 14, 2009

Blogging makes my brain quiver

So this morning I thought I'd visit my blog because I've not been paying it much attention recently.

The first thing I always do it take a look at the other blogs I'm following to see if they've got anything new going on. That was at about 9:30 this morning and it is now about noon. Where did the last three plus hours go? Well, lemme tell ya.

I started in one blog and followed some links to other blogs. I even posted replies to a couple because I was so impressed by what I was reading. Here is what has confused me:

Why don't all blogs have one-click ability to follow them like Bogspot does? Why do I want to sign up for an RSS feed versus an email notification versus a 'follow this blog' button? What is the point of Twitter? And what the heck is a Tweet? That one REALLY isn't penetrating my brain.

While I'm at it, is there such a thing as A Bloggers Etiquette? If someone I don't know appears on my list of followers am I supposed to thank them? Should I automatically become a follower of THEIRS (which takes us back to the earlier question about all blogs not having one-click following capabilities)?

HELP!! Is there a 'Blogging for Dummies' book? Or even an 'Emily Posts Guide to Blogging Etiquette'? I was afraid of blogging for such a long time because I feared it would be too complicated. So now here I am and I'm terrified about doing it ALL WRONG.

3 comments:

Lisa Emrich said...

Anne,

You're doing just fine!!

The "follow this blog" button on Blogspot hasn't been around all that long. Fairly new and not everybody has added it to their blog.

You can still "follow" by copying the URL, go to your Dashboard, scroll down, and add it to your subscriptions.

Or you can copy the URL, go directly to your Google Reader, and add the subscription. Either way you will be able to read their new posts in your Google Reader.

Of course, you can always get completely lost just checking out the links on other blogs' lists. And, no, you do not need to automatically follow anybody.

Twitter is another social networking service where you can post and respond to "tweets" which are like micro-blogs. Each entry is limited to 140 characters.

Like you have noticed, blogging and READING of blogs can make time go by way too fast. :)

Herrad said...

Hello Anne,

Thanks for sharing how you feel about blogging.

This is the first time I have visited came via Lisa.

Will visit often.
Take care.
Love,
Herrad

Desiree said...

Anne, Guess who???? It's Desiree! Just lemmie know if you have any questions about the blogging thing. Hope to see you soon. We'll miss you at Fogo. Maybe we can do a more reasonably priced dinner soon.